Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Bachelor: And the final rose goes to...

EMILY!!!! Wow, this is the first season that I called the last girl standing from the very first episode before even seeing how the women interacted with Brad. Of course, I think it became obvious that Emily was one of the most mature women on the show pretty quickly. Also, as I mentioned in last week's post, I think it was obvious that Brad had very strong feelings for her and was more concerned about her feelings than any of the other women's feelings. There was no deliberation at the end of this one...Brad was 100% sure. Honestly, I think it just goes to show that often, it's all about connection and how strongly you feel about a person. Brad and Emily connected and had strong feelings for each other. I think Jason and Molly prove the same thing...Jason connected with Melissa as well but at the end of the day, his feelings for Molly were stronger so he chose to pursue her instead. In fact, he risked quite a bit of personal criticism to make the right choice for him and follow his heart. Obviously, it's working for them.

I know there is much that happened on the actual final show that I could comment about, but I really want to focus on the After the Final Rose Special. If you watched it, it seemed like Emily and Brad are moving in the direction of most Bachelor/ette couples...break up. However, I think what they're going through is just normal...with the added stress of publicity and throw in the opinions of the public and in-studio audience (could you gasp any louder?). They really did seem to fall in love on the show and Brad feels so strongly for Emily that he really does seem to be willing to do whatever it takes to work through it and make it to the alter. That's great! And really, I think this is why most of these couples fall apart. Fame gets to them and they forget to make it about just themselves...instead it becomes about everyone else.

Earlier, I said that it's about connection and strength of emotion involved. I truly believe that's true. My own experience in relationships tells me that's true. My own experience also tells me that at some point, you have to make a choice. I don't think that you can just choose someone and therefore it will work...I had one boyfriend who believed that but couldn't do what it took to connect with me. It didn't work because the initial connection we made couldn't be sustained by my work alone...it takes two. Back to Brad and Emily...they are at the work and choosing part of their relationship. They love each other and their connection is strong, we see that. But in order to move forward, they both have to choose to continue to work at that connection to keep it strong.

I know it sounds easier than it is and I know that in some relationships you don't have to work as hard to stay connected as in others. But my point is that I think what we, the national public, saw on After the Final Rose is the piece of Brad and Emily's relationship that takes some work. It's normal, we all go through it at some point. Because I like Emily and it seems that she deserves the best, I hope it works for them.

Well, I hope you enjoyed reading my thoughts about this season of The Bachelor. Ashley H. is the next Bachelorette and maybe I'll have something to say about her, but we'll see. Until then, enjoy the coming of spring and summer roses...hooray for warmer weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment