Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2011

the real ruby slippers...

Because I now work a grown-up job that requires me to accrue vacation time, I have been unable to plan a true vacation this summer. So, I decided to take a weekend trip to see my good friend Alicia in Washington DC. I had a wonderful time! Between all the sight-seeing, cupcake eating, and play watching, it was wonderful to spend time with a close friend and just relax. For Sunday, Alicia suggested that we hit up some of the museums. When she told me that the museum of American History housed the actual ruby slippers from the 1939 Wizard of Oz movie, I was sold. We were going and the ruby slippers were first on our list of things to see. As you can tell from the picture, I was pretty excited.

If you've been reading this blog, you know that The Wizard of Oz has a special place in my heart. I thought it was appropriate that I get to see the actual shoes used from the film during this stage of my life. When I started writing this blog, I felt as though I had just clicked my heels three times, whispered "there's no place like home", and ended up back in my own backyard. I thought that when I moved back home, it would be temporary and soon enough, I would be back out again on some adventure. But like Dorothy, I think that everything I have truly been looking for could exist right in my own backyard. Sure, there are still days when I miss the mountains of Colorado or my favorite restaurants in Chicago. And yes, I still don't have answers to some of the things I have been praying for, but I have been feeling more at peace about those prayers. I have been learning how to trust God more and my faith in Him has grown infinitely over the past nine months. I have been finding myself again and discovering who I am as an individual. I am remembering that I like who I am. I think I forgot that when I was in my last relationship. I was trying so hard to fit into the conditions of the person I was with, that I forgot who I was. I don't like that I did that, but now I have the freedom to take it back. I like me. I like the qualities God has given me and I know that He has good purpose for me as is.

The more time that passes since last November, the more sure I am that I made the right decision in moving back to Connecticut. I have more confidence in the direction God is leading me, even though it doesn't always seem to make a lot of sense. I often feel confused over what I'm doing at my new job, but each day is a challenge and each day I learn a little bit more. I'm excited to see what else God might have in store for me now that I've returned to my own backyard. Although, I would like to have my own pair of ruby slippers. Just because they're pretty...

1 comment: