Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

ruby slippers

Hello friends! As a part of my new adventure in life, I have decided to begin a personal blog. I hope that through my writings, I can share my life with my friends and family as I continue to explore and experience life. Also, as writing has always been a good way for me to process my thoughts and life experiences, it will be my way of finding the rainbows in my life during what has been a season of storms and uncertainty.

If you know me well, you know that "The Wizard of Oz" has been one of my favorite movies/stories since childhood. As a child, I'm not sure exactly what it was about it that captured my attention. Since I saw the movie before I read the book, I mostly identify with Judy Garland's portrayal of Dorothy. Maybe as a girl I was enraptured with the brilliant colors after the grayness in the beginning. Or perhaps it was the music and the singing. Of course, it could have been as simple as the ruby slippers and a little girl's desire to own sparkly red shoes of her own. My dad liked to say that I had seen the movie at least 40 times by the time I was 5 so it really could have been any one of those things as I honestly do not remember what fascinated me so much as a little girl.

As I grew up, I remember that it was the adventure of the story I was drawn to. I always felt like there was more to life for me than what I could find in my own backyard and I just couldn't wait to get out there and explore. And so, explore I did. As soon as I could, I left my home in Connecticut to go to school in Chicago. I couldn't wait to explore the big city and become a city girl. After college, I loved the city so much that I stayed. Eventually, I found a teaching job, a church, and the best friends a girl could ask for all in the wonderful city of Chicago. But the appeal of adventure tugged at my heart strings again and after 10 amazing years of being a city girl, the mountains of Colorado called my name.

So off I was again. Living in Colorado has been one of the greatest adventures of my life to date. I moved there without really knowing anyone in or anything about the area I was moving to. My grad school program there was perfect for the career direction I felt finally fit the woman God created me to be. And once again, God brought some of the most amazing people that I've ever met into my life during this time. From a beginning full of questions, my life became full and truly blessed in Colorado.

And yet, like Dorothy, during this entire adventure of city life and mountain experiences, all I wanted in the depths of my heart was to go home. I loved being away and learning how to live life on my own and find my own way in my faith, in my relationships, and in my career. But at the back of my mind, all I wanted, deeper than anything, was to be home. Like Dorothy, I sought adventure over the rainbow only to discover that what I truly desired was in my own backyard all along.

I have prayed about this move for a long time. I have asked people along the way how to get back home. I have followed the yellow brick road to new adventures. I have made irreplaceable and deep friendships along the way who have skipped, crept, and run along the path with me regardless of sunny skies, poppy fields, or the danger of flying monkeys. And then, God revealed to me that I had been wearing those coveted ruby slippers all along. The timing just hadn't been quite right yet. But now is the time. I have clicked my heels three times, whispered "there's no place like home", and now I'm here.

Of course, you and I know that it wasn't quite that easy. But, I do know that moving home is something that I have been praying about for a long time. When the timing was right, God moved some mountains and gave me the strength I needed to make some tough decisions in order to be here. Home.

I have no idea what lies for me back on this side of the rainbow. Yes, perhaps this analogy is a bit cheesy, but it's who I am. And I'm excited to share this new piece of the adventure with you after clicking my ruby slippers to take me back to the other side of the rainbow.

5 comments:

  1. That isn't cheesy at all. I have often felt like my life is a search for home. The only problem is that home isn't NJ anymore, or any particular place in Chicago. I figure I'll know when I find it. Love you much. Be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying for you on your own adventure, Daniel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this analogy! And I can't wait to read your blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers for blogs! We miss youuuuuuu!!!!!!!!! Please come back! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss you too Stacey! I hope life at Cherry Creek is better than what Park Meadows was turning out to be...

    ReplyDelete